Michael Hoard, Esq.
Chapter President, 2019-2020
Former Chairman of the Board, 2017-2018 Charlotte Crown Realtist Association
It is my honor and privilege to serve as the President of the Charlotte Crown Realtist Association, a local chapter of the National Association of Real Estate Brokers (NAREB). NAREB is the oldest minority trade association and promotes “democracy in housing.” NAREB’s national goal is to create 2 million new Black homeowners. NAREB understands that the disparity in homeownership numbers along racial and ethnic lines is unacceptable. I look forward to creating greater awareness about the Chapter’s work, help our membership grow in their businesses, and educate the community about home ownership.
Matthews 8:19-20 states, “Again, truly I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything they ask for, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three gather in my name, there am I with them.”
This scripture has always been powerful to me. Throughout history, individuals have cast aside their individual egos to work toward the common good as groups and organizations. This speaks to us as Realtists because we have decided to come together and gather to do God’s work. Ultimately, we have organized to repair the breach that our people have suffered in housing. We understand that we have been disadvantaged by discrimination in housing and lending at our government’s own hand. So, as we gather in agreement to improve the lives of Black people, it will be done by our Father in Heaven.
In the first six months of my term, our organization has thrived. Through the commitment, dedication and expertise of the Board, the Committee Chairs, and the Committee members, we have improved lives, increased Black Homeownership, supported Black entrepreneurs and planted seeds in the Charlotte region that will bear fruit after our work is done.
Our Accomplishments in the first half of 2019:
▪ Participated in the CIAA tournament to educate consumers on home buying and to build awareness on homebuyer resources.
▪ Conducted a membership social for First Fridays to recruit new members.
▪ Hosted a presentation by a Wells Fargo economist on the state of housing in the Charlotte-Mecklenburg area.
▪ Co-hosted a real estate summit at Top Golf with Freddie MAC and Suntrust.
▪ Conducted a forum on Diversity in Real Estate at our monthly business meeting.
▪ Offered a course, “Financing Dreams,” which highlighted programs offered for low to moderate income level homebuyers by the North Carolina Housing Foundation.
▪ Partnered with Pride Magazine and Bank of America to produce a home buyer event at the Mint Museum. ▪ Kicked off our Faith-Based initiative to educate consumers and build relationships with the Faith Community.
▪ Conducted a panel discussion – “How to Build a Million Dollar Real Estate Business” for real estate professionals.
▪ Political Forum for the public to get relevant information about our city, county and state.
▪ National Homeownership month in June – homebuyer seminar and participation in Juneteenth celebrations
▪ Charlotte Crown Golf Tournament – Our largest fundraiser for our not for profit organization.
▪ Conducted our inaugural political forum for the public at Johnson C. Smith University
Our Upcoming Events:
▪ National Conference for NAREB in Atlantic City
▪ Our signature homebuyer event - “Get on the Bus Tour”
▪ Our inaugural financial literacy program in Mecklenburg Public Schools
▪ Career Day participation at multiple Mecklenburg Schools
▪ Multiple Faith Based Initiative programs to support members efforts to educate the public and further out initiative
▪ Lender roundtable session to create more collaboration between our lender members
God has abundantly blessed us. And we must pass blessings along. I look forward to continue to work in Charlotte on improving the lives of Blacks and helping families make that first step toward wealth. We welcome your support!
God Bless You,
Michael Hoard, Esq.